Thursday, February 15, 2007

an ACTUAL bike ride

Last Saturday, I took the plunge and experienced my first group ride with the team. In reality, it wasn't even just my first group ride... it was my first road ride EVER. Besides the few miles i did on the veloway (glorified sidewalk,) I hadn't had any other experience with my amazing new bicycle. I was thrown into some fantastic and sometimes frightening riding, which tested my limits as I hadn't tested them before. I'm sure my limits are wayyyyy far behind the limits of more experienced riders, but I guess that's what makes them more "experienced." I'm working on getting there.

We went an impressive (to me) 30 miles in about 3 hours. Not exactly speedy, true, but difficult at times. And cold. By the time I got back to my dorm, my fingers and toes were practically frozen. After sitting for a few minutes, my legs turned blue. It was weird.

Altogether, I am proud that I made it. There's a great feeling of achievement in this--doing something that I wasn't sure if I could do. Now I know that this summer with be very difficult, but I'll be able to get through it. I won't be the fastest, and I won't always be comfortable around cars (or downhill slopes, or uphill slopes, or stoplights, or curvy roads...), and I'm sure that no matter how much I learn about cycling, I'll never be an expert like some of my teammates. But I promise I will make it to Alaska. I'll meet people. I'll raise money. I'll make a difference.

Today, I went to the gym (since its about 40 degrees outside) and rode 10.3 miles. It's a small chip off my training miles, but a chip nonetheless. Also, I did some great ab-work, so I'm looking forward to feeling a little sore tomorrow.

I can't wait until it warms up a little, so I can bike without becoming a popsicle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home